Email me at email@example.com for a downloadable version.
- Versatile journalist dedicated to producing contextual breaking news coverage, as well as colorful enterprise.
- Engages readers on multiple platforms with photos and videos, smart social media use and online live feeds.
- Approaches sensitive topics with grace. Vocalizes newsroom-wide deficiencies in coverage and production.
Enterprise producer — Seattle Times | Seattle, WA | February 2017 — Present
- Uses WordPress to create packages for a team that spotlights the region’s transportation issues, called Traffic Lab.
- Incorporates highly-visual storytelling by working with people across the newsroom, including the interactive graphics department. Coordinates with digital producers to develop and expand social media strategies for the team.
- Updates the Traffic Lab webpage continuously. Vocalizes holes in digital coverage and makes plans accordingly. Hootsuite Platform certified.
Nigh Reporter — Seattle Times | Seattle, WA | July 2015 — present
- Breaking news reporter who led a digital-orientation that included crowd-sourcing and other forms of engagement while maintaining high standards around accuracy, credibility and speed. Covered crime, politics and feature stories.
- Transformed how the newspaper covers developing events online by using live feeds and instantaneous storytelling.
- Led late-night operations by monitoring for breaking news, while instigating necessary changes to the print edition.
- Exercised empathy and compassion while covering sensitive issues, such as mass shootings and other tragedies.
Student Reporter — Star Tribune | Minneapolis, MN | January 2015 — May 2015
- Produced compelling stories on city government, transportation and education beats as part of the newsroom’s leading downtown reporting team. Blogged frequently and used social media to disseminate breaking news.
- Met fast deadlines and coordinated with multimedia and visual staff members to create front-page print packages.
Managing editor — Minnesota Daily | Minneapolis, MN | May 2014 — June 2015
- Managed roughly 90 student journalists across news, sports, entertainment and multimedia desks. Taught speed and media ethics, while focusing on reader engagement. Coordinated lyrical narratives, breaking news and investigations.
- Smoothed clunky writing and asked critical questions while editing. Wrote headlines and helped managed print layout.
- Led daily and weekly meetings, as well as training and newsroom hiring. Evaluated employees’ work performance.
Intern policy reporter — Minnesota Public Radio | St. Paul, MN | May 2014 — Sept. 2014
- Contributed to election coverage as part of the news operation’s politics team. Fact-checked candidates’ statements by conducting research and interviews. Helped organize voter history data by area to determine trends. Wrote profiles.
- Practiced writing broadcast copy; observed news meetings; studied broadcast studio production and management.
Intern Reporter — Bismarck Tribune | Bismarck, ND | August 2010 — August 2011
- Reported thoughtful feature stories and hard news as a general assignment reporter on the newsroom’s city desk. Assisted other reporters. Worked closely with editors.
Masters of Arts, Journalism and Mass Communicates — University of Nebraska-Lincoln | Online | January 2017 — Present
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science — University of Minnesota | Minneapolis, MN | Graduated May 2015
- Voted one of Washington state’s top journalists in KING 5’s “Best of Western Washington” audience poll.
- Received online and print ACP First Place Pacemaker Awards during tenure as Minnesota Daily managing editor.
- Awarded 2014 ACP Honorable Mention News Story of the Year for uncovering a Title IX investigation at the University of Minnesota. (Gymnastics coaches out after harassment claim.)
- Awarded 2013 ACP First Place Feature Story of the Year for profiling same-sex couples seeking legal marriage. (Engaged at home, but not married.)
- Named North Dakota’s 2011 Journalist of the Year.